Is It Possible to Be Subversive Without Being a Jerk?
There are some things I want to subvert.
Undermine. Overthrow. Replace.
But I can’t tell you what those things are as it will make my subversion more difficult.
However, I can tell you that I’ve been wrestling with the question of how to be subversive without being a jerk.
How to attack somethings without attacking someones.
How to destroy constructs without damaging people.
Here are some principles I’ve landed on, and will attempt to follow:
- Propose solutions; don’t merely identify problems.
- Don’t assume you know the motives of those you disagree with.
- Realize you aren’t smarter than those who believe differently than you.
- Accept that you aren’t morally superior to those who believe differently than you.
- Affirm what you can affirm, even within a context you mostly disagree with.
- Decide that a difference of opinion will not displace your love for that person or group.
- Understand those who disagree with you so clearly that they agree with the way you state their case.
- Be prepared to change your mind.
- Be kind.